Sunday, January 16, 2011

What's wrong with a little red vine now and then?

High Fructose Corn Syrup. Someone recently told me that the corn industry was to blame for the obesity epidemic in America. Huh? She said that because of government subsidized ethanol (the fuel made from corn), there is an incredible amount of HFCS, a bi-product of making the fuel. The food industry buys this extremely inexpensive sweetener and pretty much puts it in everything. And it is making us fat. Makes sense to me.

So we go to church this morning, and the helper in Mia's Sunday School class asks if she can give Mia a red vine (licorice) as a treat. I said I would prefer she didn't. I'm thinking, "HFCS and food coloring - probably not on the plan." When I went to pick her up after the service, she had a full on Melt Down (yes, it deserves capital letters) because she couldn't have a red vine. She'll live.

But I have a feeling this is going to be tough. Apparently, I need to increase my faith.

By the way, I'm still waiting to find out the Plan. In the meantime, I am reading The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth (thanks, Julie), and starting to tailor my meals around those foods. I'm sure most of them are on the Plan.

Now, in terms of "What it takes to really change", I learned these things today:
1. Change is my choice. I must commit y body to God. "Therefore...offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship." (Romans 12:1)
2. To change my life, I must change my pattern. I must refocus my mind. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Rom 12:2)
3. I can only manage what I can measure. I need to humbly assess my current state. I cannot get to where I'm going if I don't acknowledge where I currently am. "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." (Rom. 12:3)
4. Change requires community and affirmation. I must get group support and fill my life with love. "Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ's body. We are all parts of his one body, and each of us has different work to do. And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others." (Rom 12: 4-5)
5. Nothing great is ever accomplished in life without enthusiasm. I must nurture my enthusiasm. "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." (Rom. 12:11-12)

So as I lift my glass of water - HERE'S TO CHANGE!

1 comment:

  1. Good insight and outlook. Love the 5 points.

    ReplyDelete