Saturday, February 12, 2011

Less is More

One would think that meat without hormones, antibiotics, and all the other stuff would actually cost less, but it doesn't.

I have decided that perhaps it is time to leave my mid-west "meat and potatoes" meal paradigm behind in instead, fill my plate with things that are green and never went "Moo." So I went to Whole Foods market (the fancy-pants organic/gluten-free grocery store) where they have an entire aisle of bulk seeds, beans, and other things I didn't even know existed. What the heck is quinoa?

It was like I had gone to an alternate universe bizarro-world market - the layout was the same as any other grocery store: produce, meat, dairy aisles, but on closer examination, everything was different.

Anyway, so I've got my little DP shopping list including organic fruit and veggies, lean free-range chicken, spices, omega-3 eggs (never even knew there was such a thing), lots of legumes, and other things. It was a bit intimidating, but fun overall, and I am sure I will get better at it the more I shop there. Mia even scored some gluten-free oreo wannabe's.

Most interesting find of the day: Veganaise. Yep, I said it. Not only that, I found it, bought it, took it home, and tried it. Believe it or not, it tastes pretty much like mayo, but has 1/3 the calories and is dairy-free if you need that sort of thing.

Meal of the week: Chicken pesto on a bed of spaghetti squash.

What I did: baked a whole spaghetti squash at 350 degrees for an hour, sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, and then forked out the stringy stuff that looks like angel-hair pasta. In the meantime, I grilled a chicken breast, sliced it into strips, and sauteed it with some pesto sauce. that I got at Fresh and Easy (very good stuff!), and served it on a bed of the squash, with a salad and steamed veggies.

What I should have done: Spaghetti squash is on the sweet side, and did not go well with the pesto. I should have used a sweeter sauce like marinara or vodka sauce. I will try that next time, and maybe add some mushrooms for good measure.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you. I know when I began to make the change, it was tough sometimes coming up with recipes. Here is one of our favorites:

    Mulligatawny Soup

    cut up:
    1 onion
    2 stalks celery
    1 large carrot
    2 yams
    1 bell pepper

    (optional) Cut into small bite size pieces:
    Lamb (chops, stew meat etc)

    Heat oil in bottom of large dutch oven.
    Add vegetables and lamb.
    Cook until lamb releases juices and vegetables soften

    Add:

    finely grated ginger
    2 cloves of garlic
    Tablespoon or more of spicy curry
    2 tsps tumeric
    a touch of cumin
    and a pinch of garam masala

    Stir well for 2 minutes.

    Add one can Coconut Milk (not the sweet kind, the kind you find in the asian aisle)
    and 3 cups of chicken stock
    salt
    pepper

    Bring to a boil and let simmer until potatoes are cooked through and flavors have mellowed.

    Serve with fresh cilantro leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog through the Made To Crave blog. You and I must be on the same wave length. I have been wanting to go to Whole Foods and check out what they have. I can't even imagine! Ha.

    I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll visit me sometime.

    Blessings!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete